Monday, October 25, 2010

Shoo Fly Pie




This week's pie was one of my personal favorites.. Shoo Fly Pie.
Shoo Fly Pie is a molasses based pie. I decided to try Alton Brown's recipe this time instead of using my own. ( We did not use the crust recipe included- Amy made the crust from a Pioneer Woman Recipe- she'll be making a separate post about the crust later)The resulting texture was more cakey & spongy than what I was used to, but I liked it. One of my fellow pie bloggers did not like the texture of this pie at all.


First we mixed the dry ingredients with butter to make crumbs & reserved some for topping the pie. Slight alteration to Mr. Brown's recipe here, the addition of cardamom. :)

Then we mixed all the wet ingredients and poured some of the crumb mixture in to the bowl...
we mixed just until blended, which I think is why the pie had such an odd texture, there were big chunks of crumb in there! We were just following the recipe though and that was what it said to do!
Then we poured it into the pie pans and topped with remaining crumbs. This recipe made two pies, and after previous experience with par-baked crust we used the pie shields on this one.



Finished Pie... great flavor, weird texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us some love!